Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hand Dyed Rainbow Yarns are back! This time in Worsted and Bulky weights. On each of these yarns, the rainbow repeats approximately every two yards. My base yarns are purchased from a domestic mill that has been in business for over 100 years.

The lovely above is a bulky weight twist yarn. It is 81% wool, 17% Mohair, and 2% Polyester. The poly wrap string dyes slightly differently, so it adds some kick (and kink) to the yarn. There are 210 yards in each of the two skeins I made, and the gauge is 3-4 st = 1" on US 9-10 needles.

Next is this fabulous worsted sock yarn. It is 100% Superwash Merino wool. I love how superwash takes up the colors so brightly. There are 270 yards per skein (I dyed 4), gauge is 5 st = 1" on US needle 7. Can you imagine mittens and a matching hat made of this?


And finally we have my favorite. This is a bulky, barely spun blend of 60% New Zealand wool and 40% US Domestic wool. It looks hand spun, and some would say this is lopi style (whatever that means). There are 120 yards (I made 2), gauge is 3-4 st = 1" on US needle 9-11. This yarn matches the Mauch Chunky line of yarns available from Kraemer yarns. They only offer solids, so knit up something great and trim it with the rainbow yarn!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my rainbows (ok, I know you do....I can hardly make them fast enough!). These will start appearing in my Etsy shop ( http://www.thepaintedtiger.com/ ) today, and over the next week.

2 comments:

DivaDea said...

I love love love rainbow yarn! Beautiful work.
Alissa (divadea.etsy.com)

ThePaintedTiger said...

Thank you so much!