Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hand Dyed Sock and Lace yarns

My dyepot has been busy, since I didn't dye much in December while I was knitting scarves like crazy. My yarn is going to be part of a new online shop that will carry unique indie dyed yarns. It will be called Yarny-Goodness, and I'll give you the link once it is launched later this month.

Since my own dyed yarn coffers were nearing empty, I made most of the yarns you see in this post in twos. One twin will be listed in my shop, ThePaintedTiger, and the other twin will be at Yarny-Goodness. A few yarns here will only appear in one shop or the other.

Elements Series

My elements series was a big hit last year, so I've done 'em again! Water, Earth, Fire, and Wind are done 'Chaos' style, which means the variation is going to vary throughout your project. The yarn base is Superwash Merino & Nylon (80/20%) three ply sock yarn, with a suggested gauge of 6.75-8 stitches per inch on #1-3 needles. There are 420 yards per each 100g skein, plenty for an adult pair of socks.

100% Merino Lace Yarns



Romance, Cheerful, Attitude Pink, Chocolate Raspberry, and I Like Coffee, I Like Tea are all hand painted on 100% Merino wool two ply lace yarn. There are 880 yards per 100g skein.

Other Sock Yarns


Here are a few more colorways on the Superwash Merino Nylon base yarn. Cheerful is only available in my shop, and Lime! will only be available at Yarny Goodness. (Sophisicated will be there, also, but I didn't get a good picture of it.) Gentle and Black-n-Blue will be in both shops.
Contest Yarn
Finally, is a yarn I dyed especially for Yarny-Goodness. She wants a signature yarn for her shop, and has challenged all the dyers to create an Earth themed yarn. The winner will be the signature dyer, and the other yarns will be featured and sold. My creation is called A Slice of Heaven and Earth. The yarn is split in two for a toe up pattern, as this yarn never repeats a stripe. It starts at the firey center of the earth, travels through the earthy layers, through the ocean, samples the lovely greens on land, up into purple mountains, a stunning sunset, and through the ever darkening blues of the sky to inky night with stars. It was fun figuring out how to create it, and I hope it is well received. I may do some more of these no repeat yarns, but perhaps a bit less complicated! :)
Hope you enjoyed my tour of recent yarns, and please come back next week for another update. I have a pile of yarns drying, including a fabulous Irish yarn, a triple berry frost, and even a yarn that is black with the hidden colors you see in shiny black bird feathers.

1 comment:

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Yay! You rule! Thank you for the mention - and I LOVE the colorways!!!

The Yarn Goddess aka
Yarny Goodness